|By Marketwired .||
|December 12, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/12/12 -- Couchbase, a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced the general availability of Couchbase Server 2.0, the company's flagship NoSQL database product. The 2.0 release augments existing key-value database capabilities with a flexible document data model, enabling developers to rapidly build and modify their web and mobile applications without the constraints of relational database schemas. Couchbase Server 2.0 also provides easy scalability, consistent high performance, and always-on capabilities to ensure fast response times and uninterrupted data availability for business-critical web and mobile applications.
- Couchbase Server, the leading NoSQL key-value database, now provides document database functionality. By encompassing both key-value and document database models, Couchbase Server 2.0 enables users to address a broad range of use cases with a single NoSQL database technology.
- Key new document-oriented features in Couchbase Server 2.0 include:
- A flexible data model, based on JSON, eliminates the need to create and manage schemas. This significantly increases agility while reducing the complexity and time required when building and modifying applications.
- Distributed indexing and querying allows users to access stored data via queries, expanding the baseline of supported use cases, including content-oriented web applications and metadata management.
- Incremental map reduce enables developers to incorporate simple real-time analytics into their applications, for example, leaderboards in social gaming applications.
- Couchbase Server 2.0 furthers Couchbase's traditional strengths in scalability, performance, and always-on reliability, with new features such as:
- Cross datacenter replication (XDCR) enables automatic replication of databases across geographically disparate data centers, ensuring data availability in the event of catastrophic infrastructure failures and improving application response time by locating data closer to the users accessing it.
- Operational enhancements, such as online data and index compaction, further enable Couchbase Server's zero-downtime application maintenance.
Couchbase Server 2.0 Beta Customer Quotes
- "As we look at building and expanding our highly-available applications across multiple data centers, Couchbase Server 2.0's cross data center replication will allow us to easily distribute information across multiple data centers. It will not only protect us against data center outages but also bring data closer to our users for a better user experience. In addition, Couchbase Server 2.0 builds on to the key-value capabilities, and adds indexing and querying that will allow us to create richer applications for our users." - J. Steven Young, Team Lead, Site Reliability Engineering, Orbitz
- "McGraw Hill Education is committed to building innovative digital products and services for the education market. Using new approaches to technology, we are pioneering new ways of teaching and learning with digital technologies. NoSQL database technology, and in particular Couchbase, fits well with our vision. As a document database, Couchbase Server 2.0 provides a flexible data model -- including indexing and querying, full-text search integration and incremental Map Reduce -- on which we can develop content-rich, highly dynamic, interactive applications that will transform how people teach and learn." - Christopher Tse, Director of McGraw Hill Education Labs
- "As we add functionality to our new and existing games, indexing and querying will be critical to the feature implementation. With its flexible data model, the Couchbase Server 2.0 document database is a great fit for our needs and will help us be a more agile competitor in the rapidly evolving social gaming space." - Xiang Shen, Server Lead, Stomp Games, Tencent
- "As a mobile advertising platform, we serve and manage hundreds of millions of user profiles and that number is growing daily. The ability to scale the data tier easily can make or break our success, so the cluster management capabilities in Couchbase Server are a huge advantage for us, allowing us to expand on demand. In addition, the ability to index and query data brings us a lot more flexibility to rapidly enhance our platform." - Benjamin Gordon, Chief Architect, Jumptap
Additional Supporting Quotes
- "Couchbase 2.0 is the most important release to date in the life of Couchbase NoSQL technology, and we've worked hard to make sure it provides the same easy scalability, consistently high performance, and reliability at scale for which Couchbase has become well known, while also providing the indexing and querying capabilities that developers love about a document database. We think Couchbase 2.0 is a great fit for those looking for a better scaling, higher performance alternative to existing document database offerings." - Bob Wiederhold, CEO, Couchbase
- "New use cases and data requirements for high usage, massive scale-out and flexible, rapidly changing design needs are pushing RDBMS products beyond their limits. Those products were designed for fixed schemas, where data structure varies little over time. NoSQL offerings are drawing a great deal of attention because they are designed for greater flexibility and less-fixed data definition, in line with the expectations of programmers building today's new systems." - Merv Adrian, Research VP, Gartner
Additional Online Resources
- Download Couchbase Server 2.0
- Read Couchbase CEO, Bob Wiederhold's blog on Couchbase 2.0
- Register to attend the webinar "Introducing Couchbase Server 2.0"
- Learn more about the Couchbase Open Source Project
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
- Like Couchbase on Facebook
About Couchbase Server 2.0
Couchbase Server NoSQL document-oriented database technology is optimized for the data management needs of interactive web and mobile applications. Web application developers and operators rely on Couchbase Server for:
- Easy Scalability: It's easy to scale the data tier with Couchbase Server without any interruption or change to an application. With one click of a button, users can expand a cluster up to hundreds of servers, automatically keeping the workload evenly distributed among them.
- Consistent High Performance: With consistent sub-millisecond response time, Couchbase Server helps ensure a positive experience for application users. Couchbase Server's high throughput means fewer servers are required to serve growing numbers of application users.
- Always-on Availability: Couchbase Server's high availability features means applications are always online, 24x365. Whether upgrading the database, system software or hardware -- or recovering from a disaster -- Couchbase Server allows you to do so with zero downtime.
- Flexible Data Model: Couchbase Server leverages a JSON document model, eliminating the need to create and manage schemas, thereby dramatically reducing the complexity and time required when making changes to an application.
Couchbase is a leading provider of NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project. Couchbase Server, the company's flagship product, is a NoSQL document-oriented database with production deployments at AOL, Cisco, Concur, LinkedIn, Orbitz, Salesforce.com, Shuffle Master, Zynga and hundreds of other household names worldwide. It is particularly well suited for web and mobile applications, providing easy scalability, consistent high performance, 24x365 availability, and a flexible data model for ease of development. Couchbase is headquartered in Silicon Valley, and is funded by Accel Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund, and North Bridge Venture Partners. www.couchbase.com
LEWIS Pulse for Couchbase
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,372
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jul. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,062
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,504
ReadyTalk has expanded the capabilities of the FoxDen collaboration platform announced late last year to include FoxDen Connect, an in-room video collaboration experience that launches with a single touch. With FoxDen Connect, users can now not only engage in HD video conferencing between iOS and Android mobile devices or Chrome browsers, but also set up in-person meeting rooms for video interactions. A host’s mobile device automatically recognizes the presence of a meeting room via beacon tech...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 520
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,177
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,653
On Dice.com, the number of job postings asking for skill in Amazon Web Services increased 76 percent between June 2015 and June 2016. Salesforce.com saw its own skill mentions increase 37 percent, while DevOps and Cloud rose 35 percent and 28 percent, respectively. Even as they expand their presence in the cloud, companies are also looking for tech professionals who can manage projects, crunch data, and figure out how to make systems run more autonomously. Mentions of ‘data science’ as a skill ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 593
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 764
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 720
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,410
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,691
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 528
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,715
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,144
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 30, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,662
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,502
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,199
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,698
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 29, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,089
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 29, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,760