|By Marketwired .||
|December 12, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/12/12 -- Couchbase, a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced the general availability of Couchbase Server 2.0, the company's flagship NoSQL database product. The 2.0 release augments existing key-value database capabilities with a flexible document data model, enabling developers to rapidly build and modify their web and mobile applications without the constraints of relational database schemas. Couchbase Server 2.0 also provides easy scalability, consistent high performance, and always-on capabilities to ensure fast response times and uninterrupted data availability for business-critical web and mobile applications.
- Couchbase Server, the leading NoSQL key-value database, now provides document database functionality. By encompassing both key-value and document database models, Couchbase Server 2.0 enables users to address a broad range of use cases with a single NoSQL database technology.
- Key new document-oriented features in Couchbase Server 2.0 include:
- A flexible data model, based on JSON, eliminates the need to create and manage schemas. This significantly increases agility while reducing the complexity and time required when building and modifying applications.
- Distributed indexing and querying allows users to access stored data via queries, expanding the baseline of supported use cases, including content-oriented web applications and metadata management.
- Incremental map reduce enables developers to incorporate simple real-time analytics into their applications, for example, leaderboards in social gaming applications.
- Couchbase Server 2.0 furthers Couchbase's traditional strengths in scalability, performance, and always-on reliability, with new features such as:
- Cross datacenter replication (XDCR) enables automatic replication of databases across geographically disparate data centers, ensuring data availability in the event of catastrophic infrastructure failures and improving application response time by locating data closer to the users accessing it.
- Operational enhancements, such as online data and index compaction, further enable Couchbase Server's zero-downtime application maintenance.
Couchbase Server 2.0 Beta Customer Quotes
- "As we look at building and expanding our highly-available applications across multiple data centers, Couchbase Server 2.0's cross data center replication will allow us to easily distribute information across multiple data centers. It will not only protect us against data center outages but also bring data closer to our users for a better user experience. In addition, Couchbase Server 2.0 builds on to the key-value capabilities, and adds indexing and querying that will allow us to create richer applications for our users." - J. Steven Young, Team Lead, Site Reliability Engineering, Orbitz
- "McGraw Hill Education is committed to building innovative digital products and services for the education market. Using new approaches to technology, we are pioneering new ways of teaching and learning with digital technologies. NoSQL database technology, and in particular Couchbase, fits well with our vision. As a document database, Couchbase Server 2.0 provides a flexible data model -- including indexing and querying, full-text search integration and incremental Map Reduce -- on which we can develop content-rich, highly dynamic, interactive applications that will transform how people teach and learn." - Christopher Tse, Director of McGraw Hill Education Labs
- "As we add functionality to our new and existing games, indexing and querying will be critical to the feature implementation. With its flexible data model, the Couchbase Server 2.0 document database is a great fit for our needs and will help us be a more agile competitor in the rapidly evolving social gaming space." - Xiang Shen, Server Lead, Stomp Games, Tencent
- "As a mobile advertising platform, we serve and manage hundreds of millions of user profiles and that number is growing daily. The ability to scale the data tier easily can make or break our success, so the cluster management capabilities in Couchbase Server are a huge advantage for us, allowing us to expand on demand. In addition, the ability to index and query data brings us a lot more flexibility to rapidly enhance our platform." - Benjamin Gordon, Chief Architect, Jumptap
Additional Supporting Quotes
- "Couchbase 2.0 is the most important release to date in the life of Couchbase NoSQL technology, and we've worked hard to make sure it provides the same easy scalability, consistently high performance, and reliability at scale for which Couchbase has become well known, while also providing the indexing and querying capabilities that developers love about a document database. We think Couchbase 2.0 is a great fit for those looking for a better scaling, higher performance alternative to existing document database offerings." - Bob Wiederhold, CEO, Couchbase
- "New use cases and data requirements for high usage, massive scale-out and flexible, rapidly changing design needs are pushing RDBMS products beyond their limits. Those products were designed for fixed schemas, where data structure varies little over time. NoSQL offerings are drawing a great deal of attention because they are designed for greater flexibility and less-fixed data definition, in line with the expectations of programmers building today's new systems." - Merv Adrian, Research VP, Gartner
Additional Online Resources
- Download Couchbase Server 2.0
- Read Couchbase CEO, Bob Wiederhold's blog on Couchbase 2.0
- Register to attend the webinar "Introducing Couchbase Server 2.0"
- Learn more about the Couchbase Open Source Project
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
- Like Couchbase on Facebook
About Couchbase Server 2.0
Couchbase Server NoSQL document-oriented database technology is optimized for the data management needs of interactive web and mobile applications. Web application developers and operators rely on Couchbase Server for:
- Easy Scalability: It's easy to scale the data tier with Couchbase Server without any interruption or change to an application. With one click of a button, users can expand a cluster up to hundreds of servers, automatically keeping the workload evenly distributed among them.
- Consistent High Performance: With consistent sub-millisecond response time, Couchbase Server helps ensure a positive experience for application users. Couchbase Server's high throughput means fewer servers are required to serve growing numbers of application users.
- Always-on Availability: Couchbase Server's high availability features means applications are always online, 24x365. Whether upgrading the database, system software or hardware -- or recovering from a disaster -- Couchbase Server allows you to do so with zero downtime.
- Flexible Data Model: Couchbase Server leverages a JSON document model, eliminating the need to create and manage schemas, thereby dramatically reducing the complexity and time required when making changes to an application.
Couchbase is a leading provider of NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project. Couchbase Server, the company's flagship product, is a NoSQL document-oriented database with production deployments at AOL, Cisco, Concur, LinkedIn, Orbitz, Salesforce.com, Shuffle Master, Zynga and hundreds of other household names worldwide. It is particularly well suited for web and mobile applications, providing easy scalability, consistent high performance, 24x365 availability, and a flexible data model for ease of development. Couchbase is headquartered in Silicon Valley, and is funded by Accel Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund, and North Bridge Venture Partners. www.couchbase.com
LEWIS Pulse for Couchbase
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 22, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 3,861
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 22, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 1,686
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 3,758
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 5,821
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 5,290
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 22, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,228
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 22, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 4,392
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 22, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,690
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 22, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 2,973
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Jan. 22, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 3,740
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 22, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 4,772
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 22, 2017 09:30 AM EST Reads: 3,025
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 22, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 5,012
In 2014, Amazon announced a new form of compute called Lambda. We didn't know it at the time, but this represented a fundamental shift in what we expect from cloud computing. Now, all of the major cloud computing vendors want to take part in this disruptive technology. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, John Jelinek IV, a web developer at Linux Academy, will discuss why major players like AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix, and Google Cloud Platform are all trying to sidestep VMs and containers...
Jan. 22, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 989
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Jan. 22, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 1,982
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Jan. 22, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 5,077
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 2,920
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Day 2 Keynote at 17th Cloud Expo, Sandy Ca...
Jan. 22, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 7,930
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Jan. 22, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 11,773
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Jan. 22, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 6,599