|By Marketwired .||
|December 12, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/12/12 -- Couchbase, a leader in NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project, today announced the general availability of Couchbase Server 2.0, the company's flagship NoSQL database product. The 2.0 release augments existing key-value database capabilities with a flexible document data model, enabling developers to rapidly build and modify their web and mobile applications without the constraints of relational database schemas. Couchbase Server 2.0 also provides easy scalability, consistent high performance, and always-on capabilities to ensure fast response times and uninterrupted data availability for business-critical web and mobile applications.
- Couchbase Server, the leading NoSQL key-value database, now provides document database functionality. By encompassing both key-value and document database models, Couchbase Server 2.0 enables users to address a broad range of use cases with a single NoSQL database technology.
- Key new document-oriented features in Couchbase Server 2.0 include:
- A flexible data model, based on JSON, eliminates the need to create and manage schemas. This significantly increases agility while reducing the complexity and time required when building and modifying applications.
- Distributed indexing and querying allows users to access stored data via queries, expanding the baseline of supported use cases, including content-oriented web applications and metadata management.
- Incremental map reduce enables developers to incorporate simple real-time analytics into their applications, for example, leaderboards in social gaming applications.
- Couchbase Server 2.0 furthers Couchbase's traditional strengths in scalability, performance, and always-on reliability, with new features such as:
- Cross datacenter replication (XDCR) enables automatic replication of databases across geographically disparate data centers, ensuring data availability in the event of catastrophic infrastructure failures and improving application response time by locating data closer to the users accessing it.
- Operational enhancements, such as online data and index compaction, further enable Couchbase Server's zero-downtime application maintenance.
Couchbase Server 2.0 Beta Customer Quotes
- "As we look at building and expanding our highly-available applications across multiple data centers, Couchbase Server 2.0's cross data center replication will allow us to easily distribute information across multiple data centers. It will not only protect us against data center outages but also bring data closer to our users for a better user experience. In addition, Couchbase Server 2.0 builds on to the key-value capabilities, and adds indexing and querying that will allow us to create richer applications for our users." - J. Steven Young, Team Lead, Site Reliability Engineering, Orbitz
- "McGraw Hill Education is committed to building innovative digital products and services for the education market. Using new approaches to technology, we are pioneering new ways of teaching and learning with digital technologies. NoSQL database technology, and in particular Couchbase, fits well with our vision. As a document database, Couchbase Server 2.0 provides a flexible data model -- including indexing and querying, full-text search integration and incremental Map Reduce -- on which we can develop content-rich, highly dynamic, interactive applications that will transform how people teach and learn." - Christopher Tse, Director of McGraw Hill Education Labs
- "As we add functionality to our new and existing games, indexing and querying will be critical to the feature implementation. With its flexible data model, the Couchbase Server 2.0 document database is a great fit for our needs and will help us be a more agile competitor in the rapidly evolving social gaming space." - Xiang Shen, Server Lead, Stomp Games, Tencent
- "As a mobile advertising platform, we serve and manage hundreds of millions of user profiles and that number is growing daily. The ability to scale the data tier easily can make or break our success, so the cluster management capabilities in Couchbase Server are a huge advantage for us, allowing us to expand on demand. In addition, the ability to index and query data brings us a lot more flexibility to rapidly enhance our platform." - Benjamin Gordon, Chief Architect, Jumptap
Additional Supporting Quotes
- "Couchbase 2.0 is the most important release to date in the life of Couchbase NoSQL technology, and we've worked hard to make sure it provides the same easy scalability, consistently high performance, and reliability at scale for which Couchbase has become well known, while also providing the indexing and querying capabilities that developers love about a document database. We think Couchbase 2.0 is a great fit for those looking for a better scaling, higher performance alternative to existing document database offerings." - Bob Wiederhold, CEO, Couchbase
- "New use cases and data requirements for high usage, massive scale-out and flexible, rapidly changing design needs are pushing RDBMS products beyond their limits. Those products were designed for fixed schemas, where data structure varies little over time. NoSQL offerings are drawing a great deal of attention because they are designed for greater flexibility and less-fixed data definition, in line with the expectations of programmers building today's new systems." - Merv Adrian, Research VP, Gartner
Additional Online Resources
- Download Couchbase Server 2.0
- Read Couchbase CEO, Bob Wiederhold's blog on Couchbase 2.0
- Register to attend the webinar "Introducing Couchbase Server 2.0"
- Learn more about the Couchbase Open Source Project
- Follow @Couchbase on Twitter
- Like Couchbase on Facebook
About Couchbase Server 2.0
Couchbase Server NoSQL document-oriented database technology is optimized for the data management needs of interactive web and mobile applications. Web application developers and operators rely on Couchbase Server for:
- Easy Scalability: It's easy to scale the data tier with Couchbase Server without any interruption or change to an application. With one click of a button, users can expand a cluster up to hundreds of servers, automatically keeping the workload evenly distributed among them.
- Consistent High Performance: With consistent sub-millisecond response time, Couchbase Server helps ensure a positive experience for application users. Couchbase Server's high throughput means fewer servers are required to serve growing numbers of application users.
- Always-on Availability: Couchbase Server's high availability features means applications are always online, 24x365. Whether upgrading the database, system software or hardware -- or recovering from a disaster -- Couchbase Server allows you to do so with zero downtime.
- Flexible Data Model: Couchbase Server leverages a JSON document model, eliminating the need to create and manage schemas, thereby dramatically reducing the complexity and time required when making changes to an application.
Couchbase is a leading provider of NoSQL database technology and the company behind the Couchbase open source project. Couchbase Server, the company's flagship product, is a NoSQL document-oriented database with production deployments at AOL, Cisco, Concur, LinkedIn, Orbitz, Salesforce.com, Shuffle Master, Zynga and hundreds of other household names worldwide. It is particularly well suited for web and mobile applications, providing easy scalability, consistent high performance, 24x365 availability, and a flexible data model for ease of development. Couchbase is headquartered in Silicon Valley, and is funded by Accel Partners, Ignition Partners, Mayfield Fund, and North Bridge Venture Partners. www.couchbase.com
LEWIS Pulse for Couchbase
Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of companies worldwide-from publishers and broadcasters, to enterprises, marketing agencies and household-name brands. Building on its established design leadership, Adobe enables customers not o...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue an...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,237
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,263
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,462
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 30, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,259
Digital transformation is too big and important for our future success to not understand the rules that apply to it. The first three rules for winning in this age of hyper-digital transformation are: Advantages in speed, analytics and operational tempos must be captured by implementing an optimized information logistics system (OILS) Real-time operational tempos (IT, people and business processes) must be achieved Businesses that can "analyze data and act and with speed" will dominate those t...
Sep. 30, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,280
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 30, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,881
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 672
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Sep. 30, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,718
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,409
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 30, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,924
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 30, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,091
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Sep. 30, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,242
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 30, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,755
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 30, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,943
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 30, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,630
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, provided tips on how to be successful in large scale machine learning...
Sep. 30, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,457
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kausik Sridharabalan, founder and CTO of Pulzze Systems, Inc., will focus on key challenges in building an Internet of Things solution infrastructure. He will shed light on efficient ways of defining interactions within IoT solutions, leading to cost and time reduction. He will also introduce ways to handle data and how one can develop IoT solutions that are lean, flexible and configurable, thus making IoT infrastructure agile and scalable.
Sep. 30, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,641
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 30, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,088
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 30, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,990