|By Business Wire||
|November 13, 2012 08:43 AM EST||
International Data Corporation (IDC) today announced the fourth round of recipients of the HPC Innovation Excellence Award at the SC12 supercomputer industry conference in Salt Lake City, Utah. Prior winners were announced at the ISC'11, SC11, and ISC’12 supercomputing conferences.
The HPC Innovation Excellence Award recognizes noteworthy achievements by users of high performance computing (HPC) technologies. The program's main goals are to showcase return on investment (ROI) and scientific success stories involving HPC; to help other users better understand the benefits of adopting HPC and justify HPC investments, especially for small and medium-size businesses (SMBs); to demonstrate the value of HPC to funding bodies and politicians; and to expand public support for increased HPC investments.
"IDC research has shown that HPC can greatly improve ROI and scientific advancement. The award program aims to collect a large set of success stories across many research disciplines, industries and application areas," said Chirag Dekate, research manager, High Performance Computing at IDC. "The winners achieved clear success in applying HPC to greatly improve business ROI, scientific advancement, and/or engineering successes. Many of the achievements also directly benefit society."
Winners of the first three rounds of awards, announced in 2011 and early 2012, included 13 organizations from the U.S., three from the People's Republic of China, one from Canada, and one from India.
The new award winners and project leaders announced at SC12 are as follows (contact IDC for additional details about the projects):
- Computational Research Laboratories (INDIA). Engineers at Computational Research Laboratories (CRL), a subsidiary of Tata Consultancy Services, developed an HPC-driven computational fluid dynamics (CFD) procedure aimed at adding realism to real-world wind tunnel data. This innovation could become crucial for the aerospace industry and others using similar technology to improve their product designs. The CFD developments by CRL-TCS are targeted at increasing the accuracy of predictions of maximum lift for aircraft and optimizing the utilization of wind tunnel testing. Improving maximum lift calculations could enable designers to use less material in aircraft, resulting in improved fuel efficiency and lower fuel costs. Improvements for wind tunnel testing alone have resulted in up to 20% reduction in flap prediction tests and estimated savings of at least $2 million per product design. The CFD methodologies could potentially be applied to other problems, resulting in more savings. The investments to enable the CRL-TCS results, including the system cost, were between $1 million and $2 million. The simulations were conducted on the Hewlett Packard EKA system. Project Leader: Kishore Nikam and Anutosh Moitra
- St. Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research (AUSTRALIA.). A cross-organizational team comprising researchers from St. Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research, Victorian Infectious Disease Research Laboratories, IBM Research Collaboratory for Life Sciences – Melbourne, and Victorian Life Sciences Computation Initiative developed a method to simulate the 3D atomic motion of the complete human rhinovirus on Australia’s fastest supercomputer, paving the way for new drug development. This research is the first time that the atomic motion of a complete human rhinovirus has been simulated on a computer. Understanding how anti-viral drugs work on rhinoviruses and related viruses can potentially speed up the development of new treatments, and could produce savings in development costs. The research has the potential to produce savings in drug discovery and pre-clinical development of up to $1,000,000 per year. The research was conducted on an IBM BlueGene Q system and the storage infrastructure was developed by DDN. Project Leader: Professor Michael Parker, with Jason Roberts, Matthew Downton, and Michael Kuiper
- Cycle Computing (U.S.). Cycle Computing provisioned an over 50,000-core utility supercomputer in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud for Schrödinger and Nimbus Discovery to accelerate lead identification via virtual screening. Schrödinger ran a virtual screen of 21 million compounds against a protein target. The run cost under $4,900 per hour at peak and required no upfront capital. The cloud-based run time per job averaged 11 minutes and the total work completed topped 100,000 hours. Project leader: Jason Stowe
- Intelligent Light (U.S.). The CFD workflow and software developed by Intelligent light is benefiting small and medium size manufacturer Zipp Speed Weaponry. A direct consequence of the work was a rapid change in design direction to bring a revolutionary new racing wheel, “Zipp Firecrest,” to market. HPC and a highly productive, automated CFD workflow enabled Zipp to create a sustainable competitive advantage by helping them effectively design and functionalize aerodynamic racing wheels for cyclists. The hardware system was powered by an on-demand cloud from Dell R Systems. This project involved an aggregate investment of $130,000. Project leader: Roger R. Rintala
- PayPal (U.S.). PayPal, an eBay company, leverages HPC technologies to provide real-time stream analytics for behavioral and situational modeling related to online fraud detection. The addition of HPC resources from SGI, Hewlett Packard, Mellanox and QLogic (Intel) has enabled PayPal to advance to real-time fraud detection. Together, the system handles more than 4 billion new records daily. Conservatively estimated, the revenue savings generated by applying the HPC infrastructure for fraud detection translates to over $710 million. Project leader: Arno Kolster and Ryan Quick
- Ramgen Power Systems LLC (U.S.). Ramgen Power Systems is a small business in Washington State that is developing a novel gas compressor system based on shock wave compressor technology. The system will be used in supersonic flight applications. Use of the Cray "Jaguar" supercomputer at Oak Ridge National Laboratory cut down R&D costs by over $4 million. Using Jaguar, staff of the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility were able to give these applications a 100-fold speedup in time to solution and two-fold decrease in memory usage per core. This project was enabled by a seed investment of around $500,000. Project Leader: Allan D. Grosvenor
- ALYA RED – Barcelona Supercomputing Center developed a first of its kind, in-house, end-to-end biomechanical model including numerical methods, parallel implementation, mesh generation, and visualization. The Alya System is a computational mechanics code with two main features. First, it is specially designed for running with high efficiency in large-scale supercomputing facilities. Secondly, it is capable of solving different physics tasks in a coupled way, each one with its own modeling characteristics: fluids, solids, electrical activity, species concentration, free surface, etc. The Alya Red biomechanical model can help bring drugs to market faster through HPC simulation driven testing. This could result in tens of millions of dollars in potential savings. The long term vision of Alya Red Project is to create an IT infrastructure of hardware and software that can help medical doctors, clinical researchers, and the pharmacological industry to use HPC to positively impact healthcare. The Alya Red simulation relied on Linux driven HPC clusters and IBM BG/P and IBM BG/Q. The interconnect infrastructure included Myrinet and custom interconnect technology. Other tools used included ParaView, Visit, Blender, and Octane. Total investment in developing the infrastructure was around $500,000. Project Leader: Mariano Vazquez
"The Council on Competitiveness would like to congratulate all the winners of the HPC Innovation Excellence Award and thank all of those who submitted entries. The significance of HPC to the private sector will only be fully appreciated when examples such as these are recognized for their economic value," said Dr. Cynthia McIntyre, senior vice president for the HPC Initiative at the Council on Competitiveness.
IDC welcomes award entries from anywhere in the world. Entries may be submitted at any time by completing the brief form available at https://www.hpcuserforum.com/innovationaward/. New winners will be announced multiple times each year. Submissions must contain a clear description of the dollar value or scientific value received in order to qualify. The HPC User Forum Steering Committee performs an initial ranking of the submissions, after which domain and vertical experts are called on, as needed, to evaluate the submissions.
HPC Innovation Excellence Award sponsors include Adaptive Computing, Altair, AMD, Ansys, Appro, Avetec/DICE, the Boeing Company, the Council on Competitiveness, Department of Defense, Department of Energy, Ford Motor Company, Hewlett Packard, HPCwire, insideHPC, Intel, Microsoft, National Science Foundation, NCSA, Platform Computing, Scientific Computing, and SGI.
The next round of HPC Innovation Excellence Award winners will be announced at ISC’13 in June 2013.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. For more than 48 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 29, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,307
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,573
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,632
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,960
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,980
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 29, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,681
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,285
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,537
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,040
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,310
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 29, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,761
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 29, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,309
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 29, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,961
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 29, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,178
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 29, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,360
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 29, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,278
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 29, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,259
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 29, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,005
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 29, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,507
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 29, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,355